I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Thursday, June 5, 2008

People Watching #1


I don't know if its because summer is finally here or if more people are walking because of gas prices or what, but for some reason I've noticed more people outside than before. Which leads to seeing very interesting characters. Which leads to this post series (How many post series have I started and never followed through on? I think only God knows.)

I was standing waiting on the bus to take me to work. There was a girl I had never seen before standing next to me with her headphones on. She had on huge, plastic, pink sunglasses and she was gently tapping her foot to the beat in her ears. She had on Chuck Taylor shoes, corduroy pants and a meant-to-be-faded t-shirt. She looked like she had just finished with the 1960s and was on her way to the 70's.
Good decade to be in.
Even though I had just glanced at her and I knew I wasn't staring, she took the glance as enough to talk to me, so she said, "Oh shit, the bus is late again."
I had never seen her at this bus stop, so I was surprised to hear that she knew that the 11:50 bus always came at 11:55. "Do you ride this bus often?" I asked, curious. "When the mood strikes me," she said with a lazy smile.

"When the mood strikes me" what an awesome phrase. She was one of those people that you couldn't help but smile back at.

We sat in silence for another 4 minutes until we saw that the bus was about to arrive. As I watched, she went from facing the street to turning on her left heel, placing her right foot near the curb, dramatically shifting all her weight to the right foot while raising her hand. When the bus got a little closer the hand that was raised (almost as if waiting for a teacher to call on her), flicked out a peace sign. The peace sign was held until the bus driver turned on his blinking lights showing he was stopping. After the peace sign fell and she turned towards me. "After you," she said bowing a little and putting an open palm towards the bus. "Oh, by all means," I said making the same gesture with my palm.
She accepted the offer to go first and I got on the bus wondering how one person without saying much, could draw me in so much that I imitated her gestures without even realizing it.

That's what you call a magnetic personality.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
Planned parenthood speaker
: I'm here to talk to you about birth control.

Chick, ecstatic: This really is the best Christmas ever!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger subtlebutsassy said...

After I read this post, I was like, "Wow!"

People like that are a bit of fresh air, I reckon. When we get so caught up with life, we need that.

Good vibes hey.

June 19, 2008 at 12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.