I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Thursday, May 29, 2008

I weep for my children.


There are some really dumb people in this world.

For instance, I have to take ticket orders and process ticket orders during the summer at one of my jobs. Here are some of the idiots I've dealt with:

Upon opening an envelope and finding a ticket order inside, I quickly scanned the order to make sure the person had included everything they needed.
When I got to the part where it says, "Visa Mastercard or Discover" I saw that they had circled "Discover," that seemed ok, I looked at the number and all the digits were there, when I got to the "Name on the card" the person had written: DISCOVER.

I recieved a call from a secretary trying to place an order and a donation for her boss.
This is not uncommon.
The secretary says to me, "My boss would like to donate 2,500 dollars and not to be named anywhere." I said ok, but then she continued with, "He would also like two season tickets."
"Two season tickets?" I asked baffled, thinking we had 28 shows in our season and most people did not want to see every single show.
"Yes, " she said with the upmost confidence.
"Do you want two tickets to every show?" I asked trying to figure out if that's what she meant.
"No, just the season show."
"We have 28 shows..."
"That many?"
"Yes, do you have the order form in front of you?"
"Yep! Right here!"
(That truely baffled me because the order form has no area for "season tickets" and lists out our 28 shows)
"Ok, you see all the shows off to right?"
"Yes.."
"We offer all of those this season."
"Oh."
"Do you know what you want of those?"
"Just put down two of each."
(Thinking, WOW, thats a lot of money to get two of each.)
"Ok, are you paying with credit card?"
"Yes, 2500 dollars."
"That's what you are donating?"
"Yes."
"And do you want to pay for the tickets the same way?"
"We have to pay for the tickets?"
"Um... yes."
"Oh."
(pause)
"Do you want to talk to your boss first before you place this order?"
"Yea, that's probably a good idea."
"Ok, thanks for calling, Bye now."

I recieved a call that asked for Amanda. I told the woman that Amanda was busy. She then asked for Kendall. I transfered her to Kendall but Kendall wasn't in her office. Since Kendall and Amanda both deal with the "friends" aka "donors" I knew it had something to do with that. She called back a few minutes later.
"Kendall wasn't there," she told me accusingly.
"Oh I'm sorry," not letting her accusing voice get to me and keeping my voice light and airy.
"Is she in the office?" she asked even angrier.
"Her dot hasn't been moved to away, so I assume she's still here." I said, still in my sing-song voice.
"Where at then!?" she said, even more angrier if that is possible.
"I don't know, it doesn't say," now finding the anger amusing because she clearly is trying to sound angry enough to get me to get up and look for Kendall.
She doesn't know that I've worked here for 4 years and this woman's caller ID clearly tells me that she's not one of Kendall's corporate people where I would get up and look for her.
"Well, see if you can go find her," she told me.
I tried not laughing out loud. The balls on this woman were tremendous.
"Well, I can put you on hold and she if she walks by here, but I have too much to do to go hunting for her," I said.
This was sort of a lie and sort of a truth.
I did have a lot to do and I had to get it done today, but our office holds 12 people, it would have taken me the total of 5 minutes to look for her. If this lady had been one of Kendall's "people" she would have known this.

"Well all I'm trying to do is to find out if I've donated this year or not!" she said, completely exasperated.
"Oh, why didn't you say so!" I said cheerfully.
(I put her on hold for 57 seconds)
"You are due to donate in June, because the last time you donated was June 14th of last year."
"Thank you," she said, and immediately hung up.

I feel like joining Project Mayhem next door some days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scotty said...

Thank you for making me feel more normal than the average person.

May 30, 2008 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Bittersweet Confusion said...

I get calls like the third one all the time... People thinking that by getting angry they can be helped quickly. I usually tell them to send it via email so I can assign it to someone (which is usually me anyway)... You use what you can!

May 30, 2008 at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.