I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Sunday, March 30, 2008

Most video tapes were damaged in 2047 during the second coming of Jesus.


When it comes to reading other people I think most people take for granted on where people's hands are placed.
Hands are two of the most important things when reading what other people are feeling.
When you think about it, a hand can hurt, it can heal, it can feed you, and it can starve you.
By simply holding up your hand you can tell someone you don't want to be talked too. If you hold your hand up and take away four fingers someone knows you are pissed at them.
Its an instant reaction to the rest of your body if your hands get near something hot, or cold. They warn you whats coming when you are in complete darkness. They get out smudges on shirts, dirt on window ledges, and crust on your eye, because you know, you can always wash them later and they'll be as good as new. They are universal tools.

I went out to the bars on Saturday night.
I was in a wine mood but I went to a bar with Amanda who doesn't usually like to "sit and watch" people but be flirtatious and wild with everyone. She had 7 or 8 people who "I had to become friends with immediately" and I found myself being forced into social butterfly-ness.
It was fine, I ended up talking to a regular from the Black Sparrow for the most part. At least, until Amanda came up to me and said, "Aw, you two make the cutest couple!"
This was done for two reasons:
One, I'm pretty sure that Amanda
does have a crush on him.
Two, Amanda is one of the biggest advocate of "QSW should break up once and for all with Mr. Lust."
Tie the two together, it's only natural that she would say something that would end our conversation and make me move to a different table. The situation ended up with me at one table and Amanda at a different table.
Instead of sipping wine and watching people.
I was sipping Bud Light and watching Amanda.
The way Amanda holds herself says everything about the way she likes or dislikes you.
Her hands are the key.
Every single guy walking out of Hunter's Pub Saturday night probably thought Amanda had a crush on them. In reality, probably two of them were right.
She would whisper in their ears, put her arms around them, hug them, kiss them on the cheek, but she only liked two.
When Amanda was talking with Bachelor #1 she had his complete attention. She was faced forward to him, her body twisted towards him which made her boobs look huge and her waist small, her legs crossed and half way under the table making them appear longer than what they were, but her hand... it was placed as far away as possible from her. It was a trap, waiting for a possible victim, so she could get away from the man she obviously didn't want to talk too.
Well, obvious to me anyway.
There was a shuffling of tables soon after and someone on the bench that Amanda was sitting on, scooted towards her. I watched, and sure enough he sat on her hand.
Immediate apologies happened on both sides, and wham, Amanda had turn towards Bachelor #2 and had her arm hooked inside his in a matter of moments. Her hand on his shoulder, her other hand on his leg. Annnnnd ...Bachelor #1 had noticed his drink for the first time in a half hour.
I watched her as she got all of #2's undivided attention and then suddenly #2 was buying her a shot. After the shot was bought and drank, there was visibly a gap between the two of them, her hand placed away from herself again and you could see #2 trying to fill it by leaning in closer.
No use, she excused herself to the bathroom.
I got a phone call and didn't see what she did for a bit.
When I turned back to the table, she was sitting by the regular I had been talking to earlier. I had my suspicions that she liked him and she proved me right. She had placed one hand on the table, and one behind his neck and she was leaning in close to him. When she leaned in her boobs were on display and she didn't even need a waist or legs at that point. When I glanced back later, she had managed to throw one of her legs over his lap as almost an anchor to hold him there, and she had just bought him a drink.
#3 was totally winning for the affection of Amanda.
I got tied up in a conversation with a guy I had no desire to talk too, so I tried Amanda's method. One hand, far away.
Not only did I have a shot bought for me, but right afterwards, someone sat on my hand.
Problem was I didn't want to talk to that person either.
On Quietly Sipping Wine nights, a rowdy bar isn't the place for it. Especially when you are sitting at a table(s) with mostly men.
At least this one was cuter.
Amanda showed up out of nowhere.
"Are you talking to my George?" she asked.
She had one hand placed on his chest and the other one wrapped around the back of his head and on his cheek. I looked and #3 was gone, either home or bathroom.
I smiled and said, "I had no idea he was a taken man, my apologies."
She smiled back, genuine, and said, "For you, I guess I can share."
A smart man would have leaned back and said "Isn't that sweet?" or "Can't I make a decision myself?" George was very naive though.
George, which isn't his real name, placed an arm around Amanda and the back of my chair and said, "At the same time?"
Yuck.
Amanda's smile was unfaltering but the quick glance at me said it all, "What a creep."
That's when she decided to make him pay.
In shots.
"Oh George, QSW and I don't do threesomes, it's against our religion!" she said, with another quick glance at me that said, "Play along."
I tried her method again.
I hooked one arm around his and placed my hand on his shoulder, the other I placed on his leg, "Yes, it has to be one at a time, we don't want to give you a heart attack," I said almost in his ear but loud enough for Amanda to hear.
She laughed, but made it into a laugh that seemed to be directed at him, as if he made the joke.
He was obviously eating up every word, because in the next moment he had his arm around my waist. I allowed it to be there, for the moment.
"Now ladies, I'm a man who can handle both of you!" he said, literally puffing his chest out.
She and I giggled, and glanced at each other, we almost had him.
"QSW, where is your drink?" Amanda asked wide-eyed.
"Over there," I said, "I can't drink it now."
"Why not?" George said, confused.
"Because, someone could have put something in it without me knowing it, " I said, putting my hand on his chest, "There are so many creeps out there."
I glanced at Amanda, she smiled because the glance meant "Just like the one we are talking too!"
"Aw... who would do that two a couple of pretty girls like you?" George said pulling both of us towards him.
I bit back saying "People like you," and said, "I think I'm going to go get another drink."
"Why don't I just buy the both of you a shot?" he said, puffing out his chest again.
Both Amanda and I laid our hands on his chest and Amanda said, "Really?! What of?!"
George was done for.
We took the shot, talked to him a little more, and then moved on.
Exhausting work for just a shot and I kind of felt like I was a vampire out of an Anne Rice novel.

Amanda rarely pays for more than 3 beers when she goes out on the town.
I normally pay for all of mine plus shots I buy for friends.
I realize that I could get away with what Amanda gets away with, but at the same time I'd rather enjoy my time out instead of searching for the next victim to get me a shot.

But, fun to watch, and still, fun to do once in awhile.
;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Scotty said...

Good story... now I am going to be watching hands.

March 31, 2008 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger H said...

hahahahaha I know that game.

April 8, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.