I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My life, as if Hollywood was making a movie on it.

This is me. A girl, no, a woman who has hit her mid-twenties and has no idea what to do with her life. I have a job. It affords me rent and not much else. The job has its perks. Most people I know don’t meet the Dalai Lama through their jobs, or see Broadway shows for free. Yet still, I find myself wanting more. I recently applied for a server position at a local pub. Not for money, but because of boredom. The man who interviewed me also owns the local strip club and at the end of the interview instead of saying, “you sound like a good match,” he said, “I like the look of you.” Most females would be offended, I found it fascinating the way he chose his words and had idle curiosity if he thought of me on a pole during our interview.
I have issues.
If you were to take a peak at my love life you might think I was trying to write my own Hollywood love story through it. I have dated men, boys, whores, daddies, husbands (unknowingly), assholes, bitches, and jerk-offs. I’ve fallen for my best friend, fallen for my best friend’s friend, and slept with my friend’s boyfriend. I’ve been cheated on countless times and I’ve cheated on my boyfriends twice.
Currently, I’m dating a man who on the surface seems like the perfect man, until you realize you are dating his family as well. Yes, I’m dating a man who at almost 26, still lives with his mother and father. Before you judge too harshly, they live on a ten-bedroom, 3 car garage, ½ mile driveway, 4 bathroom, swimming pool, pond, and hot tub property. Fuck, I’d live with my mother for that. Well, maybe not. And this man is currently looking for a house to live in. It makes it ok. For now.
His family immediately disliked me, and until a recent outing involving extreme drunkenness, continued to hate me while hiding it from my boyfriend. Leave it to Catholics to grow closer over 4 drinks at the local pub. Since then, I haven’t had near as many problems, even if they are still a little stiff around me. I’m Presbyterian and it must have been a harsh blow to realize that I could keep up with them at the pub.
I have two alcoholic friends, who are also catholic and my former and current roommates, these are who trained me for that moment with the boyfriend’s family. They are good friends, only giving me a hard time about things that don’t matter in the long run. For instance, they make fun of my over-use of the word, literarily. Literarily, I cannot stop using the word. It’s as if I fear that the world won’t take me seriously or will find my life is actually some kind of fantasy. If I use the word, this somehow negates anyone from thinking I was joking. I can’t fault them for making fun of me for that, it’s a problem, along with my text messaging. I have serious problems with text messaging.
I don’t however, have problems with alcohol. Those two, do. Also, they tend to sleep with each other a lot. While one would happily date the other, the other is crazy in love with my other one of my friends. She, on the other hand, hates my roommate and constantly rejects him. It’s a sad story of unrequited love. I try to stay out of it as much as possible. I know how that kind of love feels and I don’t know what will happen when one of them breaks from it.
My private personal life is different than anyone expects.
This is the life that doesn’t involve boys or girls or love. While most people think I’m outgoing and talkative and I’d need those things, I don’t really appreciate either of them. Outgoing and talkative people rather annoy me, which surprises most. I have independent “me” time, some of this time I disappear completely making me a mystery to some of my not-so-close friends. I enjoy running by myself so I can think, the nights I feel crummy I enjoy steaming apple cider and a good game of euchre, I appreciate letters in the mail from friends, I write in a blog because I enjoy an objective opinion whenever I can get one, I think best in the atmospheres of coffee shops, I love dancing alone in my room to Michael Jackson, I appreciate books that I read curled up while it rains or snows, and even though I dislike people and groups, I do like large parties where people mingle, where I can stand against a wall, watching the people interact… quietly, sipping wine.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bittersweet Confusion said...

I know how it feels to think your life is on autodrive and not feeling like you know what you're doing. The good thing is that it's those idiosynchronses (I'm not sure if I spelled that right) that make you such an awesome person... Thanks for giving us an inside look into QSW...

November 27, 2007 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Scotty said...

Hmmm... a little peep into the glass of wine. I dont think there is anything wrong with what you are thinking. I mean, I was thinking about it the other day, and different people know different "me's". Very few know all of me.

I dont even know if that makes any sense. Heck, barely anything makes any sense these days :)

November 27, 2007 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Len said...

You re like me. Literarily.

November 28, 2007 at 1:03 AM  
Blogger Quarterlifegirl said...

I think most people are complex and basically have more than one personality. It is what makes everyone interesting...as for Mr. Lust's family keep at it, because the catholic families (I know with a large one) are hard to get in but once you do they would do anything if not die for you. As you can tell they are protective but once you are family it will not be so bad. (I of course say this for the way future and if you ever feel like he could be the one, hehe no pressure, JK)

November 28, 2007 at 5:48 AM  
Blogger Scorpy said...

As much as I'd love a partner in my life I too appreciate the time I have to myself and by myself.
It would seem there are plenty of 26+ year olds still living with their parents in Australia. It is on a mammoth national scale now...parents just can't get rid of them or don't want to. I left home when I was 15 and loved it :)

November 29, 2007 at 1:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So, anyway, will we be able to catch you on the pole anytime soon, Sipper?

November 29, 2007 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

BC: Haha, you are welcome. I don't think I'm awesome but literarly you think i am. ;)

Scotty: You made perfect sense. Do you ever feel you can be more honest on a blog than in real life?

Lenfer: Nice usage of the word! Ten points for you.

QLG: No pressure? You are better at that then my mom! j/k
I plan to get drunk with them often in hopes of winning them over.

Scorpy: From day I turned 15 I had a job, and shortly after I turned 18 I moved out. I think its nice being on my own!

Wombat: I read that the first time as "Stripper" and not "Sipper" Amazing how similar they look.

December 1, 2007 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Scotty said...

More honest? Hmmm.. I guess in certain ways. Definitely a way to talk about just anything.

December 2, 2007 at 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.