I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Battle of the mother in law


This being almost my 25th year on this earth, and being that my mom was married at her 25th year, the references to my future happiness with a significant other has started. They are small things that I can tolerate, so I'm fine with it.


One of the most recent ones is her and my discussion of Mr. Lust's mom, whom she refers as "your possible future mother-in-law." I know she does this because she fears me getting stuck with her the rest of my life, and she wants to point that out, but now we just refer to her as, "the mother-in-law," which is a little creepy.

So let's discuss the mother-in-law. I cannot use her name on here since she's really good at Googling things. My Y! messenger has my e-mail as quietlysippingwine@yahoo.com and I'm always scared she'll see Mr. Lust's computer one day, and google "Quietly Sipping Wine" to see what happens. I'm number 3 on that list, and my first blog is number one.

I digress.

Let's start out with, she hates me. I've mentioned before that Mr. Lust's family thinks I'm a gold digger. About the only person I like in the family is his older sister because she and I have made efforts towards each other, and I think we both have a healthy respect for the other. His mom, however, has not warmed up towards me.
You know the usual questions like: "So, QSW, where are you from? What do you do for a living? Where did you go to school? Where do your parents live? How is your hometown?"
She has asked none of them.
In fact, the most I've heard her say in my direction is "Hi QSW" before she runs over and hugs and kisses Mr. Lust.
I guess, at least, she acknowledges me.

Next we have the battle over Mr. Lust. This is a battle. Mr. Lust's house is huge. Five stories, 10 bedroom, lake, pool, hot tub, 4 dogs, and gorgeously out in the middle of nowhere (20 - 25 minutes to get to my house from his).
He lives with his parents.
Yes.
That's right.
He does (but he is looking for a house of his own).
This is where the battle comes in. While Mr. Lust is still at home, his mom is going to try to control him.
Mr. Lust has been spending the night with me a lot lately.
One, we are at that point.
Two, my apartment/house is closer to his office.
Three, he's having a hard time dealing with his family.
This situation only happened after I won the battle. Before, the mother-in-law would call him before he left work and say "Oh, on your way home will you pick up milk? We are getting low"

She has a husband coming home as well, but she'd always ask him.
Or, she'd call him and ask him to pick up his 15 year old brother from driver's ed.
Or, she'd call him and ask him to run an errand.
Or. Or. Or.
At first, Mr. Lust didn't catch on.
I caught on, but this was a battle of wits, and I'd be a dumb ass to tell Mr. Lust. He'd only get defensive of his mother and she'd be winning.
Basically, I'd have to call him earlier, and make plans with him.
Sometimes he'd push plans back if she called, but he'd always see me the evening he promised. Even if it meant taking the milk all the way home, dropping it off, and turning around and driving 20 minutes back to me.
My suspicions were confirmed that this was directed to keep me away from him when one evening she got tipsy and told him that he'd have to drive her home. He said, "I can't I'm going to see QSW after this, and she said, "Well go ahead and call her, cancelling your plans with her." To which he looked over at his sober father said, "You can take her right?" He said, "Of course" and Mr. Lust got up and walked to his car to come see me.

Making me the winner.

Then the phone calls started.
The first time Mr. Lust spent the night at my apartment she called 3 times in the middle of sex because she was worried and didn't know where he was. Thankfully he didn't pick up any of those times, nor did he run to the phone after. He got up only after the phone ran for the 5th time because I said, "Oh, hun, you should get it, something could have happened!" I said this because it showed discreetly how insane it was for his mom calling that many times and because it made me the hero for telling him he should answer it.
I knew it wasn't an emergency, if it was, more people would have been calling.
This made me the winner.

It wasn't until this past week that she claimed defeat though.
Mr. Lust told me about a conversation she had with him, and I knew she had realized during the conversation that I had won.
Her: So when do you look for a house?
Him: Saturday.
Her: You are missing the game?
Him: Yes, I don't feel like babysitting my father at the game.
Her: Well I'm not going to it either, would you like some help looking for a house, it can always help to have a woman's point of view?
Him: One step ahead of you Mom, QSW is coming with me to help look. She's got to work later on that evening, but I have her for the day and she says that she'd love to help me look.
Her: Oh. Well that'll be nice for you two.
(pause, because she left the room for a moment)
Her: (re-entering) You should really invite QSW over more, I've barely gotten a chance to know her.

He tells me this story because he wanted to show that his mom did like me, just hadn't had a chance to show it to me.
I immediately agreed with him.

But it was such Bullshit, she's had MANY chances.

I called my mom.
I told her the conversation. I could almost hear her rolling her eyes at Mr. Lust's mom. Followed with, "He needs to find a house quickly!"
She's so right..."

**********************************************


Last night. Mr. Lust calls. "Wanna go to Chumley's and grab a beer with my sister and myself?"
I jumped at the chance, because I always enjoy nights with her.
He did not tell me that his mother and father were there.
His father left soon after and it was Dave (co-worker), his mom, his sister, and him.
Mr. Lust bought everyone a Long Island.
Soon... we were all tipsy.
The mother-in-law and I started talking.
We have a new respect for one another.
She also made some comments like, "Oh, you've been to London?" and "Oh, I didn't know that you lived on so many arces of land!" Which were just so satisfactory.

And any man who is smart enough to know that booze fixes any uncomfortable, back-stabbing, immature behavior between his girlfriend and his mom, is a man that I can really be with.

5 Comments:

Blogger Len said...

I m so glad my parents are bad at Googling.

I m impressed at how you managed to handle his mom. Congrats, because having such an overbearing family at his age? Wow. Crazy.

November 21, 2007 at 4:06 AM  
Blogger me said...

You seem like a pro with this woman!
Good work. Way to win!

And Monster in Law is freakin hysterical! i love Jane Fonda in that...

November 21, 2007 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Scotty said...

Ahhh... good story about possible-future-mother-in-law.

Eh, maybe she just doesn't want a girl to hurt her boy.

November 21, 2007 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

Lenfer: I've learned that with every up, there is a down. If his parents are his down... I can handle it, like a pro. ;)

KP: Welcome! I love that movie as well!

Scotty: I think thats a big part of it. :)

November 23, 2007 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

Lenfer: I've learned that with every up, there is a down. If his parents are his down... I can handle it, like a pro. ;)

KP: Welcome! I love that movie as well!

Scotty: I think thats a big part of it. :)

November 23, 2007 at 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.