I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Noisettes - my new favorite band.


Last night.
Oh my.
Let me back up:
So, Mr. Lust's family knows everything about Mr. Lust because he works with almost his entire family minus his 15 year old brother and 20 year old sister who are both still in school.
His mother, father, and older sister all work in the company as well.
Family business, just a 120 million dollar family business.
A few nights ago he broke it to me that most of his family knew that we were dating and knew of the story of how we came about.
Oh well, it was better than Matt and him not telling his parents anything.
But still, sort of odd.
Then I thought about it.
My mom knew everything.
Ok, so I'm sort of being hypocritical.
I dropped it and took it that he was just happy we were dating and thought he'd tell his mother as well as tell me he told his mom (his mom told the rest of the family).

Last night:
I got a text from Mr. Lust at 9:30ish and he told me he had gone out to eat/drinks with his sister (older) to discuss business, but now they were both done and he wondered if I'd like to come out to the Knickerbocker and have a drink with them. He said, "Bridgette would like to see you again!"
I had met her once, at a football game, a long time ago, when he and I were just "friends."
I was mildly flattered and incredibly curious.
I went out.
It was fine at first, she gave me a hug...
...So did Mr. Lust... and a quick kiss on the cheek.
We all drank for awhile and told stories and had a good time.
Mr. Lust got up to use the restroom.
His sister turned to me and said, "I adore him."
I felt I was being tested.
"I do too." I said.
"Do you?" she said, "Because I don't want to see him hurt again, and he seems to really like you, and I don't want another Naomi because I was really close to her and she broke his heart."

Oh God.

I knew of Naomi, the last serious girlfriend of Mr. Lust, and I half wondered if she ran away in terror from, not Mr. Lust, but from his family.
I knew that his sister knew that Mr. Lust and I technically started while I was still seeing NG, and even though it was innocent, she had to wonder. I also knew that for the most part his family doesn't give his girlfriends (excluding Naomi) much of a chance and usually immediately thinks that they are gold diggers.

"I don't want to break his heart," I said.
"Well good," (and then she reiterated exactly what I just wrote above)"I don't want to hate you, QSW, but I will be the personal enemy of whomever hurts Mr. Lust."

I knew this was going to come, I knew at some point I'd have to talk to his family, I knew his family and he were really close, I just had no idea it would be so soon. Half of me wondered if she did that JUST to scare me off and so the rest of the family wouldn't have to deal with me.

God, am I dating someone in the mafia?

"If it makes you feel any better," I said to her, looking directly in the eye, "I don't like the way Mr. Lust and I started either, obviously you know the story, and you know that we didn't get much farther than dinner before I ended it with my ex boyfriend, besides that, I do really like your brother, I have fantastic conversations with him, I read the same sort of books he does, and we both have gone to some of the same countries, so it's fun to talk about things like that with him. I'm not sitting here saying I want to have his babies and marry him, but I'm promising you I'm taking him seriously."

"You've been out of the country?" she said.

Wow, they must have really thought I was a gold digger.

"What... Can a girl from Southern Indiana not be able to fly out of the country?" I said, answering a question with a question, and being perfectly edgy and bitchy.

Her eyebrows went up and a slight smile slipped on and immediately off her face.
"No, just most Indiana farm girls haven't gone out of the state... much less the country," she said, not backing off.

"Well, I've been to London four times, Italy twice, Germany, France, Belgium, Guatamala, Cayman Islands, Bahamas and who knows where else... and I don't know about you, but I always like breaking stereotypes," I said.

This time she genuinely laughed.

Mr. Lust came back at that moment.
"What are you laughing at?" he said.
"We were just chatting and your girlfriend (she turns to me) It's alright that I call you that right? (I nod, she turns back) and your girlfriend really stands her ground on things, I see why you respect her," she said.

Mr. Lust was kind of lost but decided he didn't want to ask.

ROUND ONE - QSW Wins, Mr. Lust ends up in the dark.

7 Comments:

Blogger Indiana said...

Men are always left in the dark...that's why we invented fire...Oh and so we could grill.

October 16, 2007 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

Good ole Edison.

Who invented the Clapper? Now there is some light-wanting laziness... ;)

October 17, 2007 at 1:23 AM  
Blogger Len said...

"You've been out of the country?" she said.

LOL! OMG...

That's a possessive sister...

October 17, 2007 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How sweet, you're dating a man and his family.

October 17, 2007 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger WiscoBlonde said...

Sounds like things are progressing as quickly for you as they are for me!

October 17, 2007 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger H said...

Yikes! She sounds a bit crazy. GREAT job not backing down!

October 18, 2007 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

Lenfer: She is really possessive, but knowing what Naomi did, I'd probably be the same way.

Wombat: As long as it's not "the family"

WB: I think you and I are a lot alike.

Heather:Thank you, I wanted to take a bow after I was done. Its the little things in life that sometimes you are the most proud of. ;)

October 18, 2007 at 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.