I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Monday, October 22, 2007

Halloween Fun: Self Guillotined man


Friday night Mr. Lust took me on the Tour of Terror walk.

TofT is a stroll around downtown Lafayette Indiana (where I live) that is put on by the Civic theatre. They basically walk around and point out sites where real murders happened, where there are bullet holes in buildings, and the stories behind all of them. (Example will be later)

It's a big fund raiser for them and I've wanted to go for the last four years.
First, The Ex didn't want to waste time walking, then I dated Matt.... yea, not happening... I had already mentioned it to NG who said "Why would you want to walk around and learn about stuff? You could just go to the library and find out all that stuff."
RHM didn't want to go.
ID didn't want to go.
Amanda didn't want to go (funny story on why later).

I didn't even mention it to Mr. Lust.
I can only handle so much rejection.

So Friday rolls around and Mr. Lust tells me that ge got an 8 % raise at work and would like to take out his favorite ladies to dinner (aka, his grandmother, mother, and myself).
While we are eating dinner, he asks me if I'm busy the rest of the evening. I tell him I'm not, and he says that I should pick anything I wanted to do and he would do it. I started to open my mouth to say TofT, then I closed it, then I opened my mouth and said, "We should see 30 days of night."
"What was the first thing?"
"Eh, I just kind of want to go on Tour of Terror, but I can drag someone else with me."
"I've always wanted to do that, lets go."
"Really?"
"I'm not in the habit of lying."

His mom and grandmother thought that was such a cute thing for a couple to do.

So I went.
It was fun. It was crispy cool outside and our path was lit by lanterns making everything eerie.
We walked to 5th street where my friend Amanda lived.
We stopped nearby her window.
"Now here is the story of the Self-Guillotined Man." the tour guide started.*
Mr. Lust and I listened to a story about how a man had checked into the "Lahr House" (which is the present day apartments where my friend Amanda lives) and had several trunks with him. He then constructed a guillotine out of several boards, an axe, a box, leather straps, and a candle. The axe was spring loaded. It was attached at the end of the boards and then strung to the wall. The man attached a box to the wall, put a pillow in it, put his head in it, and waited for the candle to burn through the string. When it did, the axe fell and chopped off his head.
"It happened in that very room" the tour guide said in a shaky voice, and then pointed to my friend Amanda's room.
I laughed.
The rest of the group, including Mr. Lust stared at me wondering how sadistic I was.
I explained.
The tour guide looked genuinely horrified, then asked if we could take the whole tour up there.
I said no.
Still... it explains why Amanda didn't want to go on the Tour with me.

*New York Times article on the event.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bittersweet Confusion said...

A death in my house would freak me the heck out... Amanda she is a brave one!!!

October 22, 2007 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Scotty said...

I dont understand how someone would not want to do that.

October 22, 2007 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

BC:Amanda is sort of insane, but I think she likes to pretend it didn't happen.

Scotty:Apparently if you are from this area originally then you just don't care. :(

October 23, 2007 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger H said...

Whooooaaa! Does creepy stuff happen to her? Kind of cool, but wouldn't wanna be her living there!

October 25, 2007 at 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.