I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Monday, October 29, 2007

Chicago: the windy, you-might-as-well-walk-cause-you-aren't-getting-your-car city.

First, Chicago was wonderful.
Mr. Lust and I had a grand time there and both of us want to go back.
In true QSW fashion, my life and vacation wouldn't be complete without a little drama, so of course I fought with my roommate the Thursday before I left.
I hadn't told him I was going to Chicago.
I hadn't told him I was dating Mr. Lust.
I decided to get tipsy on Thursday and not dodge his pointed questions on what I had been doing with my time.
He was mad because I lied to him.
I didn't care, but Mr. Lust kind of felt down that already our relationship had a mark on it (if you will). I didn't want to explain to him that ID is the drama King of our generation and falls in and out of love faster than Kangaroo on steroids hopping along a highway. It seemed to be enough that I knew this, and I know within a week he'd be onto the next love of his life...
I was these past few week's love because ID didn't know I was dating anyone, and the last love-of-life rejected him the week prior to NG and my break-up, I've been this part of the drama/play at least 7 or 8 times. At least I don't have Ellen's shoes (mutual acquaintance), she's been the lead role at least 20 to 25 times.
...I still didn't want to deal with Mr. Lust's questions or disbelief on the subject so I just waited for him to forget about it. He forgot as soon as we hit Lake Shore Dr.

Chicago
We drove in... past the Art Institute, past Lake Michigan, past Millennium park, and both of us got really excited. We stopped at a stop light and three little kids dressed as bumble bees crossed in front of us while slim orange leaves fell like snow on his car.
"I'm so excited," he said. I couldn't say anything for a moment because of my excitement so I just gripped his hand.

The yellow dot is our hotel. The green paw prints are places we stopped.
We were 15 minutes (walking) from anywhere in the city that we wanted to go.

We arrived, checked in, put down our stuff, tested the bed, and then we were off to see the city. 3pm we started walking (the whole time remaining below the river) and at 6pm we decided that it was time to eat. Finally, at 7pm we picked a place to eat after walking around downtown searching for a place. At 9pm we were done with dinner (and tipsy) so we went back to the hotel, watched a scary movie and went to bed.
The second day we started out at the Corner Bakery which was... ironically (?) around the corner from our hotel. This time we took off for above the river. We went up and down Michigan Ave, we veered off on some side streets and basically just took in Chicago. At 2pm, we were at the Oriental Theatre and sitting in our (very good) seats waiting for "Wicked" to begin.
The performance was fantastic. The lead role was played by a woman who could really hit all of her notes. I've seen Broadway in New York and this woman could easily get a gig at any number of shows there. She was fantastic.
After the show, Mr. Lust and I booked it to a nearby (7 blocks) sports bar to catch the second half of the Saints game, which in our apparel and carrying "Wicked" paraphernalia, must have seemed ridiculous, especially when we started taking shots of Crown Royal during the game.
When the shots came, Mr. Lust toasted.
"To the woman whom I can watch a musical with, then watch a football game with, and take shots with, all the time still being interesting and fascinating to me."
We clicked as on lookers stared at us wondering what was wrong with the picture of two seemingly yuppie type people, in semi-formal wear, clinking shot glasses, sitting at a table covered with a checkered cloth, 20 TVs around them blaring football, and kissing.
After the bar, naturally we wanted to drive.
We walked back to the hotel and Mr. Lust decided we should drive out of the city to eat. We called for our car.
We waited, and waited.
Someone came around the corner and asked if we were owners of a black Jeep, but we assured them that we had a silver Murano.
When someone showed up at the car pick up place asked for their car, got it, and we were still waiting, Mr. Lust got angry and went and complained.
Apparently, the black jeep was suppose to be ours.
It was a scary feeling since it wasn't, but we were handed the keys anyway (the Indian man couldn't understand that we were saying, "yes, right ticket, no, wrong car.")
Mr. Lust got worried that his Murano was gone. Since the keys were so easily placed in his hand for the black jeep.
Panic ensued.
After another 20 minutes of searching, they finally found the car that we had been switched with, and thankfully, it was still there meaning the Murano was still there.
They didn't charge us the 45 dollars of keeping it there for over 24 hours.
As a result we moved it to a different parking garage.
That was the only hiccup in the entire weekend.

Over all, I'd say that's a near perfect weekend for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Len said...

Tested the bed, eh? ;)

October 30, 2007 at 1:46 AM  
Blogger Scotty said...

I dig the map, I have only been to Chicago's airport... but have always heard good things about it. Need to visit sometime.

October 31, 2007 at 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.