I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Friday, August 3, 2007

What do you look for in a wine?

I love the BBC news.

So I was interested when I saw an article titled "Don't know your Merlot from your elbow?"

At the end of this article there were people's comments on how they pick their wine at the store. I thought I'd share a few with you:

"The bigger the dent in the bottom of the bottle, the better the wine (so I've been told)."
Kate, Bristol

I go for three things:
1. Full bodied
2. New world
3. Half price
It's served me well so far.
Sue, London

My criteria:
1. must be between £5 and £10;
2. must have an animal on the label;
3. must be from S. Africa, Chile or Australia and
4. definitely not French.
Derek Ramone Crawford, Edinburgh, Scotland

I always choose my wine by the alcohol volume.
Mandy Phelps, Quedgeley, Gloucester, UK

All my family choose on the shape of the bottle. A nicer shaped bottle is bound to have nice tasting wine inside and a boring, plain bottle something not so nice.
Annabel Cook, Ipswich

I prefer a nice grape juice, and tend to find it tastes of grapes...
Alex El Jundi, The Hague

I think I'm going to have to take some of these people's advice, especially that last guy... man, he knows how to pick 'em!

3 Comments:

Blogger Len said...

Awesome. The first bottle of wine I ever bought I chose because a guy next to me (who looked very very gay) chose it. I just chose the same because I assumed gay men would know the good wines.




It was crappy. And acidic. ;)

August 3, 2007 at 3:05 PM  
Blogger amanda jennifer said...

"I choose my wine by alcohol volume" is actually kind of a great way to look at it.

I used to work at a wine shop... before I turned 21, years ago. So all of the potential wine learning I could have done was lost, and now I just try and pick labels that I recognize from those days.

August 4, 2007 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Bittersweet Confusion said...

I pick anything in a Cabernet that's under $15 and not in a box... That stuff is all kinds of awful.

August 7, 2007 at 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.