I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Sunday, July 22, 2007

QSW gets mad when people wine...

DISCLAIMER:
QSW does not presume to know all there is to know about wines. She only knows what she's tasted, she's never studied them, nor has she searched out the best of the best. She just likes the taste of a dry red wine. Don't sue her.


Saturday I went to a wedding with NG.
I had a really good time despite the fact that NG and I knew practically no one (he knew two people, and the groom, out of 200+ people).

The reception was held at a winery.
QuietlySippingWine's dream(not for a wedding, just that a big party be held at a winery). Plus, all the wine was free.

NG, who never really had wine before, said he wanted me to choose wine for him.
I decided to start him off with a white wine, because it's been my experience that they aren't as dry, acidic, and usually are a little sweeter(read above disclaimer).
We walk up to the tasting area, and I asked the guy behind the counter if we could both try his Traminer. He poured a glass for NG to taste and ignored me. When NG said it tasted good, he poured a whole glass for him, and ignored me. NG caught on quickly and said, "My girlfriend would like a glass as well.
The man turned to me and said, "I don't think she's 21 yet."
This was either really dry humor, or just odd.
I assured him I was, and I started to pull out my ID to show him I was in fact 24, when he turned to NG and said, "I'll trust that she's 21 if you say she is."

NG assured him and he poured me a glass and left.
NG turned to me and said, "Wow, that was weird."
I said, "Weird? No, just rude."
I dropped it after that.
After our wine was done, one of the two people that NG knew asked if he could come with to get a glass of wine.
So the three of us went.
Same guy helped us, and I even picked the opposite end of where he was, but as we walked up to a nice looking lady, she left to go get some more glasses, and he walked down to help us.

NG's friend ordered something at my suggestion, liked it, and left.
NG ordered the same wine he had earlier because I don't think he wanted to branch out too much(it was one of the first times he's had wine).
I asked to taste his Chianti-like Sangiovese, because I knew to like most of the Chianti I've tasted.
He just stared at me, then after a moments pause, when I could see NG moving to say something, the horrid man said, "It's a really dry wine, you know that?"
"I happen to like most of the Chianti I've tried and I like a dry red wine," I told him.
He actually rolled his eyes, but he poured me a glass... and no...I was not allowed to taste it first.
NG put his arm around my waist leading me away and as soon as we rounded the corner, NG looked at me and said, "What the Fuck?!" and started laughing.
I started laughing as well and said, "Was I offensive or something?"
"Damn you and your damn red, dry wine," NG said in a very good impression of what the man sounded like.
NG's friend walked up to us, and asked what we were laughing at, and NG told him.
His friend was really nice and offered to get my wine from now on, I told him it wasn't necessary because I really wasn't afraid of sexist bastards.

The next glass of wine I took on by myself. Both NG and his friend offered to come with, but I very adamantly told them both to stay put.
I walked up to the man at the counter and ordered his Cabernet Sauvignon.
I said it clearly.
He said, "Oh, just a second let me find it."
He picked up the bottle of wine and poured it.
It was the white wine we had earlier, since it sounds nothing like Cabernet Sauvignon, I knew he did it on purpose. He poured a taste and just looked impassive at me.
"Wow," I said, "You do a horrible job with your Cabernet, it's suppose to be red."
Without waiting, I sipped it, set it down, and said in a very mocking voice, "Oh, it tastes like the Traminer we had earlier. Let's have another glass."

Two things:
One, (you are right)I was tipsy at this point.
Two, the bastard had it coming, because I was saying this with many people standing around me (I was not loud, I said things very calmly), and some of them were staring hard at the conversation between myself and the arrogant bastard and some were trying to listen in.

The bastard poured me a glass of the white wine, and he immediately walked away from the counter, leaving just the nice looking lady to take care of 15 people.
I turned away from the counter, and a lady standing very close to me with her husband said to me, "Oh my gosh, I thought it was just me he was doing that to!(she was loud)"

This got everyone's attention and they were staring at the wife and myself. The 10 or so that were being polite and looking away before, now had lost all pretense. While I wanted to take a stab at the man, I did not want it to be so public, I have tact, I swear.

I smiled at her and said, "Well, from now on, I'm sending my boyfriend to get wine, because I don't actually like white wine."
Several people laughed/chortled, which is when I realized that most of the people were drunk.
Her husband offered to get me a glass of whatever I wanted,(he too was very drunk) but I assured him that the white wine would suffice.
I walked back to my table and told NG and his friend what had happened.
"That's it, QSW, I'm going in for your wine from now on, I don't care how independent you are," NG said (at the time, I didn't think he was worried about me, rather me making a scene).
"I agree," I said, "I don't want to deal with him anymore."
I think I surprised NG that he was getting to hold the reins on this situation.

After about an hour, it was time for another glass of wine (I was at this wedding from 5 till 10:30, don't look at me like that, I know you are judging)
NG went into the tasting area to get me the Cabernet I had ordered earlier.
After 20 minutes there was still no sign of him.
His friend asked me where he was, and I just shrugged.
A minute later he finally reappeared.
He had a smug expression on his face.
I'm quickly learning that NG doesn't take as much crap as I thought he did, in fact, he might be more rebellious than me, but he does it in a much quieter, sneaker way.

"He actually said to me, 'Your girlfriend thinks she knows so much about wine, but she doesn't does she?'" said NG.
I started laughing, and said, "Wait, does he think you know more than me?"
"Well of course I do, I'm a male, I have that Y chromosome that says I know more," said NG laughing.
He handed me a rather large glass of wine, and it looked as if he was still pleased with himself.
"What else happened?" I asked.
"I casually mentioned that you did know more than me," he said smirking, "then I mentioned that when I buy wine for all the area's surrounding Kroger stores I usually ask you what you think of certain wines."
My mouth dropped.
"Then, I casually mentioned that you didn't like white wine," he said almost laughing, "and that you were disappointed that this winery didn't know what it was doing because even your Cabernet Sauvignon was white."
To think I was worried about him being mad at me for saying something earlier to the man...

"You carry this brand of wine, don't you?" I asked, because I was, in fact, not the official wine taster of Kroger Inc.
He nodded.
"Is this why I have such a big glass of wine?" I asked.
He nodded, smiling.
"Are you going to stop carrying it?" I asked, sipping it.
He shrugged, "You tell me, Mrs. Wine Taster."

It was perhaps the sweetest thing anyone has done in coming to my defense.
*********************************************

When told the story above, FN said, "Honey, he knows a wine lush when he sees one, you can't get mad at the man from trying to bat you away from his wine."

6 Comments:

Blogger Len said...

haha - awesome story. what a bastard. women know more about wine than men do ;)

July 23, 2007 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger DCchick said...

wedding reception at a winery! Fantastic Idea!!! I'm going to have to remember that...

I was just thinking, you should've found the owner/someone in charge and let them know that the employee was being disrespectful, not just to you.

But then I was liking what NG did. Too funny.

July 23, 2007 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

Lenfer: I really thought that was common knowledge as well ;)

DC: I forgot to mention that the guy was the owner...it's how he could get away with it I believe.
I guess I should mention that NG manages a Kroger... Dang, I suck at writing...;)

July 23, 2007 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Scotty said...

Whoa. I just noticed that both you and L'enfer are looking at me with your eye pics. A 'lil creepy if you ask me..

And I don't know about this 'common knowledge' stuff. That's utter poo. Along with the disrespectful guy.

July 23, 2007 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Len said...

Scotty, we just like to make you nervous.

July 24, 2007 at 1:42 AM  
Blogger Circe said...

I was getting totally pissed about the rudeness of the man (owner or not) and am livid he tried to pull a fast one on you. Are you sure you didn't just remind him/resemble a female relative he has issues with?

Giving you a Sweet White when you asked for Dry Red! The nerve!! *tsking noises*

July 24, 2007 at 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.