I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A rock... and A hard place.

Last night ID kept calling me and calling me to go out.
I finally picked up and told him I was broke and could not go out.
This was attacked with "Fine, I'm paying for your drinks, let's go."
Sigh.
So it was schooner night at one of the local bars we go to.
You bring the schooner and you can fill it up with beer for two bucks.
When I arrived at ID's house, I asked if he had an extra that I could borrow.
"NotGay has them all, and I tried calling him, but he didn't answer" he said.

I try to avoid conversation about NG because I'm a pansy.

"Ok then, let's go," I said.

"Why don't you try calling him?"

"Why would he answer for me and not for you?"

"I don't know, but sometimes my phone doesn't ring through and just passes onto voice mail," he reminded me, and I knew this to be true, darn it.

"Well I'll call him once we get out to the bars," I was hoping to bide time so that I could text message him first and tell him not to answer my phone call.

"That wouldn't make any sense, call him now, so if he wants to come out he has time to get there before we are ready to order."

Damnit.

So, feeling stuck, I called NotGay.
He answered on the very first ring.
My voice was strained apparently because I was uncomfortable, so he started asking if I was ok.
IrishDrinker is standing there listening to my side of the conversation.
ID mumbled things like "Why wouldn't she be ok?" and "Why is he telling her about his day we just want to drink!"
Soooo uncomfortable.
NotGay had to fire someone that morning and I think he wanted to talk about it so badly, that he missed the fact that I said, "ID and I are standing here wondering if you have extra schooners and would like to come out?"
I felt so bad for NotGay, that I just listened and tried to ignore ID.
Finally frustrated, ID said in a loud voice, "GOSH! I JUST WANT TO DRINK!"
NG heard it, and said, "Oh ID is there with you NOW?"
Sigh.
I confirmed it and NG wanted to get off the phone, because he's a pansy like me.
In fact everyone is a pansy in this situation.
It's been a known fact for so long that ID is in love with me that NO ONE wants to slip up and let the cat out of the bag about NG.
FN and RHM, I can usually ALWAYS count on to let some gossip loose.
Not with ID... both of them don't want to deal with him heartbroken either.
The one time I'd like them NOT to be tight lipped.
Sigh.
ID and I leave for the bar shortly after my phone call ended.
"Did NG say if he got my phone call or not?" ID asked me.
"Yep, he did, he just knew you'd want him to go out, and he couldn't, so he didn't answer." I said.
"Well, then why did he pick up for your phone call then? You just wanted the same thing!?" he said laughing.
I gave him a look.
He didn't get it.
Instead he said, "That's odd."

Two things:
One, I'm getting a little insulted that ID doesn't think that maybe I'm NOT JUST attractive to him, I'm ALSO attractive to NG.
Two, how thick skulled can you be?
Come ON, think it out.
NG doesn't pick up for his drinking buddy, but DOES pick up for a FEMALE.
Gee, I wonder.
So... what did you say... ODD?
I'm just going to get drunk with ID and NG one evening and make out with NG so he GETS THE PICTURE!!!
No I'm not... because I'm a pansy.
Sigh.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bridget M. Burns said...

You really need to tell him.

I kind of think he knows. Otherwise he wouldn't be suspicious of everything you and NG say...

June 26, 2007 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger anthony said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 26, 2007 at 10:21 PM  
Blogger Scotty said...

Tell NG to pony up and tell him, he should. I think guy to guy would be much easier on ID.

June 26, 2007 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

Dylan: I should really, i should. You are right... I will... tomorrow... wish me luck.

Anthony: I will repeat "I am not a pansy" and hopefully I'll get through it ;)

Scotty: NG told him that I had asked him out on a date. And he thought that would give ID the hint... it didn't.

June 26, 2007 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger James said...

Options:

1. Don't tell ID. Keep all hidden and hope that everybody (for whom you have no responsiblity to keep happy, unless their name is QSW) remains happy. They won't, of course, but hope springs eternal, does it not? Lovely, though, that couple that has been together for 50 years and they detest each other, aren't they?

2. Tell him. Be honest. Step up. Be the woman that you really are, a grown-up, someone worthy of what follows. Simultaneously, admit it publicly to yourself, and maybe even open yourself to the idea that maybe -- just maybe -- it's not too soon, and maybe that a guy who makes you feel happy is an okay thing. Maybe fall in love, maybe realize something Real. Or not. Possibly lose ID as your friend. Probably lose NG if it doesn't work out. But how will you ever know, otherwise? You don't have to commit. You don't have to be his girlfriend tomorrow. But c'mon, QSW, you're smarter than this. You know what to do.

3. Wait for ID to Figure It Out, which he never will, because he thinks that he Knows NG and you. Meanwhile, keep budding Very Nice Thing hidden. Wait for secrecy to poison potential Very Nice Thing. Lather, rinse, repeat over the course of your life.

4. Tell James to stuff it because he is good at giving advice, but bad at following it.

Okay, pencils down and papers over! Which one do you think I suggest?

June 27, 2007 at 12:27 AM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

I choose #2. :)
I figured thats the one you wanted me to chose, because everyone has said something similar as well, even my mom, who said "QSW, it's only a rebound if you want to make excuses for it failing someday." Then again, I've never seen my mom happier than when I said, "Matt and I broke up."

My mom is harsh sometimes, and I love her for it.

I am smarter than this. You're right. Thanks James ;)

June 27, 2007 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

On a side note... after reading number 3, I thought "Shit... he's right." Then I got so worked up, that I almost called ID right then just to tell him, before I let it go on any further.
A few moments later, calmer, I called him to tell him I needed to talk to him tonight over a nice beer.

Thanks for figuratively smacking me in the ass. ;)

June 27, 2007 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Bridget M. Burns said...

oooh good luck!!!

June 27, 2007 at 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.