I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Pen is Mightier

(Henry Jones shoots a nazi with ink from a fountain pen)
Marcus Brody: Henry, the pen.
Professor Henry Jones: What?
Marcus Brody: Well don't you see? The pen is mightier than the sword.

Flash forward to SNL

Sean Connery: Alex! I'll take the PENIS MIGHTIER for $200.

I thought that was funny.

My past has seemed to catch up with me recently.
My friend Annette and my friend Cyra both have called me within the last 24 hours.
Annette's phone conversation was interesting she's still hung up on her boyfriend from college, and needed advice for it.
That conversation ended with a "Oh my god, I'm such a bitch, I swear I didn't appreciate you as much as I do now, I wish I had hung out with you every day at college."
I replied with smilar sentiment.

Cyra called me (after almost 7 months of not talking) and her conversation revolved around a relationship of hers that just ended and how lonely and bored she was.
Her conversation ended with "Oh my gosh, please, let's do a road trip to the middle of nowhere soon, I need my best friend!!"
I returned similar sentiment.

And now I'm talking online to a friend who lives in Washington D.C.
He moved out there a year or so ago, and from what other people have told me, he lives in a very happening city.
He just IMed me telling me how he likes to find people to date and talk to through Craigslist, but the all turn out boring and how he's so bored and wants me to come out there because he had so much fun with me in college.
I told him "We will see, if I get vacation." but there is no way I'm going.
The man has serious biological clock issues and seems to be searching for a lifetime mate.
No thanks.

Just interesting, is the real world that lonely?

3 Comments:

Blogger Indiana said...

In a word, YES.

I think there is a slow dawning in the western mind that the capital acquisition of material wealth is not what makes one happy, rather it is the close relationship of friends chosen rather than family that is truly the more enriching path.

Humans crave company, we sometimes like to be alone, but it is far more normal to crave the company of others.

May 16, 2007 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger Wanderlusting said...

Agree with Indy in total. (gasp, I know).

Also, I tend to not ever feel lonely because I rely on myself a lot but I must admit, as a recently dumped person, I do feel it now and yes I am turning to my friends more than ever, as I should. I never neglected them before, but I am turning to them for support whereas in the past I would have turned to Ross for it.

I also am reaching out to people I haven't seen in awhile, simply because I now have the time to be their friends - or at least hang out more. Even though when I was with Ross I only saw him a couple times a week, that is now two times I could be spending catching up with old friends.

May 16, 2007 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger DCchick said...

While DC is a very entertaining place to be (lots to do, lots to see)...

it also seems to be the one of the loneliest places.

I can sort of feel his sentiment, only I do not search out people on craigslist. I play volleyball. :)

May 17, 2007 at 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.