I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Monday, May 28, 2007

Friend's category? Hell no!

Here's a little diddy about Jack and Diane...

Jack and Diane knew each but not in the same small town.
They met at college.
Diane was fun-loving and smart, and did the best that she could.
Jack sat back, and watched without saying much.
Jack had a good job and a life, but wanted one to share it with.
Diane had many to share her life with.

Jack and Diane had many mutual friends.
They saw each other at least once a week for years.
Diane felt that Jack, was way out of her league.
Jack felt the same about Diane.

Diane loved and lost, many times over the years.
Jack lost, but mainly it was his clothing to girls he didn't care for much.
Diane would cry and talk, and share all her moments with Jack and all their friends.
Jack didn't say much.

Jack waited patiently until the day that Diane was single.
Then told her that he liked her.
Diane sat in shock until she realized that she liked him as well.
She just never thought about it much, Jack was tall, smart, handsome, and completely out of her league.
She agreed to go out on a date with him.
During the date she realized that she knew nothing about Jack.
Jack was animated and talkitive during the date.
Not at all like him.
He pulled out chairs for her to sit, opened doors for her to walk through, and offered to pay for everything.
Diane was stunned.
When they sat down to know each other, Diane found out things about Jack that she never knew.
Jack had 8 siblings.
Imagine sitting once a week with someone and never knowing that.
Other things she found out about him made her realize that this was one man in her life that cleanly and smartly kept himself out of the friend's category.
Jack just sat back and waited.
Diane got a compliment or two from him occasionally, and that was enough to not question him further, or to get to know him.
Jack was a smart man.
Diane always thought herself a smart and perceptive woman, and realized on that date that she was a silly girl.
Jack was obviously trumping her aces.
Cool, smart and in a James-Bond-like way, managed to win the hand, and to Diane's amazement, win another date with her.

Lesson to the men whom might read this.
If you want to stay out of the friend's category you shouldn't get to know the woman, whom you want.
She'll talk enough, as long as you compliment her.
If you sit back and don't say much, she won't get to know you.
She won't find out your flaws.
She won't know your qualities.
She just won't know you...
... which means you can never be thrown into the "friend's" category.

8 Comments:

Blogger Scotty said...

..interesting read, did you write this?

May 28, 2007 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

yes.. I wrote it.. except for the bit at the top, that I ripped off of John Mellencamp...

May 28, 2007 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger Scotty said...

I thought I recognized 'Jack and Diane' from somewhere, but couldn't place it.

I think I can understand it though.. kinda like 'keeping the mystery', which would in turn keep the other intrigued.

But, that can be hard sometimes. Then again, what isn't? :)

May 29, 2007 at 12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jack nicholson and diane keaton.

May 29, 2007 at 6:11 AM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

Scott: I would be very impressed with myself if I could do something like that. Our own instinct tells us "Hey! If you like it, get to know it."
It would be a hard feat.

PB: Haha... Never thought of that, and I've seen "Something's Gotta Give" too many times.

May 29, 2007 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger DCchick said...

I hope that you are Diane.... because this is a great "story"

Any advice for when the roles are reversed??

May 29, 2007 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

DC: Diane's identity is a mystery.

Roles reversed I have no clue. It might work both ways, I have yet to try it, but I have a feeling men think completely differently than women.
I wish I knew though, if you figure something out, let me know. ;)

May 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Wanderlusting said...

Ah HA! I know who Jack and Diane are....

May 30, 2007 at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.