I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Tuesday, April 24, 2007

And so are the Matts of our Lives...

I'm currently doing someone else's job for them.
I'm graduating in December, and out of this town, off to better things.
That makes the marketing director nervous because Matt** (my co-worker) has only done Graphic Design and not Web Design.
I've done all the web design and have been paid well for it.
Now, my boss wants the new website to be handed over to Matt, the co-worker.
I understand, I'm leaving, she can't count on me forever.
There is just one little catch.
MATT IS A IDIOT WHEN IT COMES TO WEB DESIGN.
Oh, he can make it look pretty... on paper.
Actually making it pretty in the coding world... different story.

I continued with the site I created, and meanwhile he's suppose to be designing the new one.
The new one needs to launch THIS THURSDAY.
On Friday it was decided by my boss (who had seen me go through the web designing process one year earlier) that Matt was not going to finish it in time.
She grabbed half the web pages from him and handed them to me.
"Please help us" she said.
I agreed and we upped my hours a little for this week.
It turns out, that she should have stepped in about two weeks ago.
Matt has barely begun this site.
And then.... (pause for dramatic effect)... he has the audacity to cop an attitude at me.
It was this male-ego-I-don't-like-the-fact-that-a-student-is-taking-over-a-job-that-i-have-no-idea-how-to-do attitude.
Needless to say, at the end of yesterday I was furious.
Not only was I doing this guy a favor and saving his hide, but he was making my life miserable while I was doing it.
I went for a walk, for 1.5 hours I basically walked off my frustration.
I got a book, walked to the coffee shop, and then upstairs to Matt's (my Significant Other) apartment to ask if I could have one of his cigarettes and if he still wanted to watch 24 that evening.
He knew I was stressed, you don't date someone for a year and half without picking up on little things like that.
He told me to go downstairs and read my book (that was my plan) and then to come back around 7:30 and we'd watch Sopranos then 24.
At the end of 24, I was feeling better.
He pulled out a bottle of booze and lemonade and sat down.
"Don't you have pre-lim stuff you have to do? You argue your case on Friday?!" I said.
"I can get it done tomorrow, no problems, I swear" and with that being said, he poured two drinks.
It didn't take long before I was whining about my day.
He listened, very intently and quietly.
He stroked my hair and took my side on everything (sometimes he likes to play devil's advocate) and I realized after about 30 minutes that I was feeling a lot better.
That feeling quickly switched to intense happiness at what Matt had done for me.
I gave him a look that said so, and kissed him on the cheek.
"Thank you" I said.
He grinned and said "My God, I have a pre-lim coming up but your day sucked 10 times more than mine did. I'm just glad that booze and listening makes you 100 % happy again. You might be one of the lowest matience girls I've ever seen."
I guess we all have our qualities that sometimes are only appreciated by some.

** GH's real name is Matt
My co-worker's name is Matt
My significant other's name is Matt
and now, RHM's boyfriend's name is Matt.
Seriously was no one creative in the 80's?

3 Comments:

Blogger Indiana said...

What I would have done is told Matt (co-worker) to STFU or the do the job himself, to stop being a whiny bitch when its clear he fucked up and I was bailing him out.

April 24, 2007 at 7:40 PM  
Blogger Wanderlusting said...

Nothing bugs me more than needing to bitch and someone plays Devil's Advocate...ARG! Sometimes all you need to be happy is an open (and silent) ear.

April 24, 2007 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger MrFancyPants said...

Uh.... creative with web pages (read: artistic) and also low-maintenance and cute? Woah. I mean, woah!

Sipwine, my real name isn't Matt. Will you marry me?

(And I'm with indiana about the coworker. What a freakin' tool.)

April 25, 2007 at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.