I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Update on the story below

So as it turns out there was no foul play.
My brother was questioned about what happened over Spring Break, but there was no need.

Wade Steffey, searching for his jacket in Owen, somehow got into a room that was locked, and electrocuted himself.
ELECTROCUTED HIMSELF.
Then, for the last TWO MONTHS, he's been cooking in a room that is naturally at 100 degrees in the winter.
Apparently when people began their search for them, they checked that room.
They opened the door, yelled "heeeelllllloooo" and shut it, without bothering to enter the room....
.....Cause the room is dangerous and you could possible ELECTROCUTE yourself.

I love American's attitudes.
When 9/11 happened to us, we automatically assumed that the people piloting planes into our buildings were JEALOUS of what we have...
...because you know, when I see a girl with a cute boy that I want for myself, my natural thing would be to stab him and her and then myself.

Same attitude with Wade Steffey.
"How could a straight A student who had honors and a full scholarship have anything happen to him?" Of course, there must be foul play here. Straight A students would never walk into a high powered electrical closet and ELECTROCUTE themselves.

I'm sorry, I might seem unkind. I do feel bad for him and his family. I know it is a tragic loss, and I feel truely sad when I hear his parents talking about what a relief it was to find their son dead or alive.
But the rest of my campus can go to hell with their attitudes.
Even after the evidence is presented, most the students still believe that he was killed and put there to make it seem like an accident.
BAH.

7 Comments:

Blogger WiscoBlonde said...

That's just horrific. I'm so sorry you had to go through this, especially since your brother actually got dragged into it. I lost a friend who made stupid choices while being under the influence of alcohol/drugs - it sucks when smart people make really stupid decisions.

March 20, 2007 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Del said...

I think ppl just prefer to think there was foul play involved so they don't have to remember that accidents can happen!
I'm glad all is OK with your brother though.

March 20, 2007 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger laura linger said...

I disagree that foul play wasn't involved here. In fact, I could not disagree more vehemently with you on that fact.

Having been a student at Purdue, and having lived in the residence halls for three years, and having actually been in Owen Hall a number of times over the course of my life, there is SO MUCH about this story that just doesn't ring true.

Examine the timing, for instance.

Who made the call about the "pinging" noise?

There have been whispers...turning into shouts...that this case was bungled from the beginning, and by everyone involved.

I am sorry about your brother. That must have been very scary for him. I am especially sorry since I think that Purdue fucked this entire thing up. I also speak from a law enforcement background, most notably in homicide, and there is something very "hinky" about the sudden appearance of Wade's body.

Because, you know, when a body is electrocuted, it...cooks. And that has a smell, a smell that you cannot escape, no matter how many locked doors, no matter how many Keep Out signs.

And whatever happened to his cell phone? The fifty dollars he withdrew from the ATM? Were those on his person? Why did it take so long to make an ID? Was the corpse not wearing the clothes listed in the Missing Persons flyer?

As I said, I believe that Purdue is somehow trying to sell everyone a story. This kid was no dim bulb, and it would take significant doing to get into where they say his body was found. And for what? How did he get through not one, but TWO separate locked doors? How did the cadaver dogs miss him?

March 20, 2007 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Wanderlusting said...

Interesting. I am glad your brother was cleared.

But with the comment above, I did actually wonder that why no one smelled the poor boy in his horrible state.

I think they should keep the case alive in that case, if there is actual evidence pointing towards it, but not on account of students who just get a little excited at the thought of murder on their campus.

March 20, 2007 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger Wanderlusting said...

To fuel that, it would be a convenient plan to murder someone and then stick them in an electrical closet to make it look like an accident.

Just saying...;)

March 20, 2007 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Indiana said...

Now the legal wrangling will start as lawyers try to find someone to blame and therefore sue...since after all the bottom line in this will become someone's tragic accident and someone has to be blamed and now pay.

~ok only slightlysarcastic tone here~

March 20, 2007 at 5:40 PM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

Wisco & Del: I appreciate your comments on my brother's safety, my mother went crazy trying to figure out what was going on with him.

LL: I disagree with you. Wade tried his damnest to get into Owen Hall to retrieve his jacket, which just happened to be in a girl's room. AKA, most men will willingly walk into a room marked "Danger Electricity" if the chance to get laid is on the other side.
My friend Will and my brother both work at Owen Hall as RA's. They both said that if a person wanted too, the locks could be jimmyed open. Will actually showed me on a similar door in Owen.
Also, it is to my knowledge that when a body is electrocuted, even having an electric current running through it for the last two months, that while yes, it cooks for an hour, after that, it doesn't have much moisture left in it to smell. This was only confirmed when I talked to Matt who has worked on many cadevars.

Wanderer: I'm so mad at my roommate right now that I've thought about {sick humor here} lying down twinkies in a line right into an electrical closet in hopes that she might accept the same fate. So yes, I could see your point.

Indy: We just talked about that last night. We wondered if they'd sue because Purdue should put up better signs that say "Beware of the evil poon tang"

March 21, 2007 at 5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.