I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Friday, February 23, 2007

Sad Panda


So Matt's parents are in town last night and tonight.
He invited them and gave them tickets that I had given him.
He got very excited they were coming.
When I asked if I was hanging out with them at some point, even if it is only to meet his Dad (which i haven't met yet), he said, "No."
No other excuse.
Just no.
I tried not to let it get to me.
But my female-hormones won over me, and after about 2 hours off the topic I blurted out, "Why do you not want me to hang out with your parents?"
He said, "Because I never get any alone time with them, and I'm really looking forward to this."
I tried to be rational.
Ok, he has two sisters, and another brother. His brother lives with his parents, one of his sisters is getting married this summer so she gets a lot of attention, and the other sister has had the first and only two grandkids so she gets a lot of attention. Plus, those three live in the Chicagoland area, and he doesn't.
I guess my irrational side won out, and I found myself thinking thoughts like, "I only want to meet him... Is 30 minutes is really going to hinder his 'alone' time?"
Against rationale, I pushed the subject forward.
"I just want to meet him," I said, "Not spend all evening with you guys."
He made some joke about how first he'll introduce me to his father and then I'll be making wedding plans.
Very uncharacteristic of him to say such a thing, and completely uncharacteristic of me to actually do those things.
I just said, "What type of a girl do you think I am?!"
He laughed and said he was joking.
I only believed that partly.
So now I'm shunned away from his personal life with his parents.
I feel like I suddenly I'm at square one with him, and before I felt like things were perfect.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wanderlusting said...

That usually happened though, when you think things are going perfect. Sigh.

It is weird though. From all the things he's said, you would think he would be chomping at the bit to introduce you to his dad, you know? And, even if he did want you to meet him but not spend too much time with him, he would arrange it so, like just before you leave to go somewhere, he tells you his dad is coming by just to say hello before you go...

And that marriage remark....not cool and so hypocritical. He's the one who talks about marriage and commitment all the time, not you.

All of this sounds very strange to me and I bet you too. What do you know about his dad? Maybe he's embarassed of him? Maybe there are weird daddy/son issues going on... I know I kept Ross from meeting my mom for several months...but eventually, it was inevitable.

Don't be a sad panda...be a curious panda! Get to the bottom of all this weird shenanigans.

February 23, 2007 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger The Accidental Bitch said...

I don't think you're at square one. Like wanderlusting, I was a little irritated that he accused you of setting up wedding plans (even if it was a joke) since he's the one who keeps talking about your future and marriage and all that.

I think you should just let it go. He's been making you happy lately and without any prodding on your part. I would accept his reasoning and realize that if you two go farther together, you will be meeting his parents anyway. No worries!

February 24, 2007 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

Wanderer and TAB: I agree with both of you. IT was very odd.

But I guess I'm an irrational female. Even if the marriage comment bothered me, apparently he was joking completely... All I can do is shrug my shoulders at him.

February 25, 2007 at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.