I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Friday, February 2, 2007

Never leave a soldier behind.

(while waiting in line at Starbucks)
FN: Man, that Army guy is Hot!
QSW: Yea, I’ll take that Army of One any day...

Over the last few days I've been taking care of Matt. You've read the posts (and if you haven't then they are below) and the stuff I've been doing is very basic and helpful when someone is sick. I haven't gone REALLY out of my way, but I have tried to help him whenever. I've been this way with him for a long time now, and he's always been appreciative and so I always want to do it again for him.

Last night my eye started acting up again. I was in a lot of pain and worried. The last time this happened I had to be rushed to the hospital at 3:30 am.
When this happened with GH, he panicked and rushed around like I was going into labor or something.
So it was interesting to see the difference when it started happening around Matt.
Matt, showing concern but not panicked, started asking me questions.
"When did this start?" "Has this happened before?" "How long ago has it happened?"
I found myself thinking straight.
Upon the last question, I suddenly remembered when I was in high school being diagnosed with a mild case of Blepharitis.
Sitting up straight and clutching my eye, I said, "Oh my god, I bet that's my problem! The doctor said it could come back, and I think it has ten-fold!"
Not knowing what Blepharitis was, Matt said, "Good?"

The doctor, 7 years ago, told me that the best thing I could do was wash the inside of my eye out with baby shampoo. And I remembered having some of it at my apartment.
Getting on my shoes, still clutching my eye, Matt asked me what the hell I was doing.
I told him I was going to walk to my apartment to get baby shampoo and explained why.
He told me to sit down, grabbed my keys which were right in front of me, and said he was going to go.
After a long back-and-forth conversation, I finally convinced him I was going with him no matter what.
We got to my apartment and there was no luck, apparently I didn't have any.
Onto Wal-greens we went.
At this point I was feeling bad for Matt driving me all over creation at 12:15 at night.
We got there, and the moment I walked into the brightly-lit store, my eye started watering and throbbing.
I followed Matt blindly to the section we needed and on my way I said, "Thank you so much for doing this."
We got there and he turned to me, and said "QSW, this is part of the commitment I made to you, the good and the bad, stop thanking me, you've done more for me."
If I hadn't been in pain I probably would have laughed at his "Don't-leave-a-soldier-behind" attitude towards the situation. He marched me quickly in and out of Wal-Greens.

Upon walking into the apartment he immediately started running water in the bathroom. I walked into the bathroom with the shampoo, and he left, only to return with a washcloth.
"Clean your eyes." It was half an order, half a request.
He walked into the other room and I cleaned my eyes, and immediately I could feel the pain go away.
I walked out smiling and sat in his lap and said, "It worked!!"
He looked positively relieved.
"Well I haven't seen you smile in 6 hours, so I'm glad you are feeling better." he said smiling.

Relief didn't last long on his face and just like that, he went back to gruff commander of his army of one.

Luckily, I quickly hid the smile the crept across my face before he could see it.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger The Accidental Bitch said...

I don't know why you felt like he was doing something that grand; I would probably expect that kind of consideration even if I wasn't dating the person but just good friends.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't thank them, but I definitely wouldn't feel bad.

February 3, 2007 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger sipwine said...

I didn't feel like he was doing something grand, I just laughed at his way of handling it. And I was saying thank you because I felt bad that he was running around at midnight when he had an 8 am meeting the next morning. I would have felt the same way if it was a friend with an 8 am meeting.

February 3, 2007 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger The Accidental Bitch said...

This is true, but it does sound extremely painful. I think that trumps guilty feelings.

I like how logical he was with the line of questioning.

February 5, 2007 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger sipwine said...

It was extremely painful, but since this is the 29,239 time (i've been counting) it has happened to me, I'm almost use to the pain... crazy, huh?

February 5, 2007 at 1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.