I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Friday, February 9, 2007

Euchre this!

If you are born a Hoosier then you'll die playing Euchre.

Euchre is a card game with suits ranging from 9 to Ace.
A suit is called and that is considered trump.

For some reason people from Indiana love this game.
It's also popular in Michigan and some parts of Illinois, but Indiana has some kind of obsession with it.
In fact, my father taught my mother how to play it on their honeymoon (I swear I'm not making this up). She said she wasn't going to take the time to learn it until they were married. So be it, she had to learn the game on her honeymoon. I love my dad, and he's proud to be a Hoosier.

Back to what I was saying, I love this game, and I play it often online.
Matt has been watching me play it and on Wednesday evening, he asked to learn it.
I was kind of surprised. Matt has his things that he does, and I have my things. He spends hours on Reef Central's website, and I spend hours playing Euchre, many nights we've sat in the same room not talking to each other, doing these things.

So Wednesday, I logged him in, and showed him how to play.
At first he was frustrated, because until you learn how the cards are set, you don't know what to call or what to pass, but after he got the hang of it I realized I created a monster.
I passed out at 12:30... at 4am he finally came to bed, and after waking me up, explained to me how many games he had won and how many opponents he had beaten.
It was like a four year old discovering sugar for the first time.

Thursday evening, we started playing together.
He's hilarious and after about an hour of playing I realized he wasn't going to slow down.
I logged off, much to his disappointment, and I started watching TV.
After another 45 minutes, he conceded defeat, and came and sat with me.
An hour after that he decided he was tired, and laid down.
I was still wide awake.
As he rolled over, I turned down the tv, and found my mind wandering.
I opened my laptop and logged into Euchre.
I started playing.
5 minutes into the game, Matt sits up, whirls around, and says "ARE YOU PLAYING EUCHRE?"
I just stared at him like a deer in headlights.
"I thought that was OUR thing," he says.

I think he's more Hoosier than he thinks he is. While I don't hope for him cheering on the Colts anytime soon, I think he appreciates where I come from at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.