I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Thursday, January 4, 2007
When you grow up
Livin' like a good boy oughta
And your mama
Takes a shine to her best son

It was christmas evening. Call from GH.
I sighed, I knew he'd call back repeatedly unless I picked up and wished him a Merry Christmas.
I answered, and 20 minutes into the conversation that was mostly one sided, I was growing bored.
I started to think of excuses to get off the phone.
Around that moment, something caught my ear, it was a joke of some sort, I asked him to repeat it.
"Melinda and I have been talking as much as you and I do over break, " he said again.
(Melinda is my brother's ex-girlfriend who is very much a dependent person, and because my brother is alive and well, she's depressed by it. My brother has gone out on dates but had to keep it completely hidden because he was worried she might find out and go into deep depression.)
"Really?" I said, "You two should really date."

Something different
All the girls they seem to like you
Cause you're handsome
Like to talk and a whole lot of fun

Silence. Then. "You'd be ok with that?"
I sat straight up.
Quickly I realized that I had to play this just right or it would blow up in my face.
I had to sound OK and Sad at the same time.
If I was too eager he'd get sad and depressed that I wanted to get rid of him.
If I was too sad he'd think that he still had a shot with me and not go for Melinda.
I started my speech:
"GH, you know I've always cared about you, but this is at a time in my life that I can't be there for you the way you need me to be there. It's why we broke up. That being said, I still want to see you happy and taken care of. I think Melinda can keep you happy and she'll be there for you. That's why I said that. I would honestly like to see you happy."

A momentary pause. Then.
GH started:
"Well, I've just been thinking that with everything going on with you, you might not care if Melinda and I casually dated. I mean, nothing serious, just someone to pass the time with."

I suddenly realized whatever I had said was working, and he was seriously considering it.

Gonna take your mama out all night
Yeah we'll show her what it's all about
We'll get her jacked up on some cheap champagne
We'll let the good times all roll out

"I think you should ask her out." I said at the end of the phone call.
He got off the phone.
An hour later he called back telling me that she had said yes to the date.
I quickly got off the phone with him, ran downstairs, and found my brother in the kitchen.
Sliding on the flooring and almost running into him, I said, "GUESS WHAT?!?!"
He replied with "Jesus came back and started talking to you?"
I gave him an annoyed look and said, "GH AND MELINDA ARE GOING ON A DATE."
His eyes got wide and then for the next 5 minutes we jumped up and down screaming "YAYAYAYHHHH!!!!" until my mother came in and asked what two 20-somethings were doing acting like 4 year olds.

Do it
Take your mama out all night
So she'll have no doubt
That we're doing ALL the best we can
We're gonna do it
Take your mama out all night
You can stay up late 'cause baby you're a full grown man
"Take your mama" - Scissor Sisters

1 Comments:

Blogger Indiana said...

Don't Mum's know you are allowed to regress to 4 year olds when its Christmas, it's like a rule, or something.

Glad your way forward is being cleared of obstacles.

January 4, 2007 at 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.