I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Friday, January 26, 2007

When is it too much?

Recently, I had a domestic day.
Domestic days always come when you least expect it. Most of the time you don't want to do domestic things, but when you want too all of a sudden, it catches you off guard.

Regular Day: Class, Work, food from a box, homework, TV, bed.
Domestic Day: Class, Work, coming home and deciding to make an all out meal, then bake cookies, then clean the kitchen, then clean the bathroom, then take out the trash, then some homework, then TV, then Bed.

I feel like Martha Stewart on those days.

The last one I had, I was at Matt's apartment. It was Thursday.
I called him and asked if I could make dinner at his apartment. He said yes, but that he wouldn't be home for another 25 minutes, so to go ahead and let myself in.
I did, and by the time he got home, I had almost finished up making Potato-Cheddar soup from scratch.
After that I made Peanut Butter cookies.
Then I cleaned up the kitchen.
Then I took out the trash.
On my way to doing that, I found that the bathroom sink was gross.
So I cleaned it before actually taking out.
After getting back from taking out the trash, Matt was sitting on his futon staring at me.
"What?" I asked.
"Thank you?" He said.
I smiled and asked, "Are you questioning the Thank you?"
He smiled said yes, and said in a more sincere tone "I really appreciate all that you do for me."

Did I do too much?
I didn't do the things just to please him, I just wanted to do something nice, and I wanted to eat soup and cookies.
After cooking, I was cleaning all the dishes anyway, so I cleaned the counters too.
I used potatoes which go bad within hours, so I took out the trash so his apartment wouldn't smell.
The bathroom sink was the only added on part that made no sense for me to clean.

Now I feel I went too far in intimacy with him.
What do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Wanderlusting said...

Well, I could see how being with a guy for a short while, and you dont really know each other, how this would scare him.

But not with Matt, I think he was just appreciative. I do those sorts of things for my guy, and even though weve been together a year, I too sometimes feel like apologizing for being two "wifey." But whether I am or not, I know what I do is appreciated and wanted...mainly cuz I am a giant mess the rest of the time.

January 27, 2007 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Jen Johnson said...

Perhaps make it clear to him that you weren't doing it for him? I actually think this says more about you feeling comfortable enough to do those things than it does about you doing favors for him. I wouldn't worry too much. And... feel free to make me soup and cookies any time :)

January 27, 2007 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nah, you're just a great catch.

-Wombat

January 30, 2007 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Bridget M. Burns said...

I know how that can happen. If I start my Saturday with rubber gloves on, chances are I'll still be cleaning at night fall.

The one time I ever cleaned for a boy, I did his dishes after he made me dinner. His reaction?

"Uh... Dylan... you realize we have a dishwasher, don't you?"

January 30, 2007 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Sipwine said...

Wanderer: I feel the same way. I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this.

ACS (or TAB?): I make good soup and cookies. And I think at some point it was said that "I didn't have to do all those things" and I retorted with "I know, if I did have to, I'd dump you faster than the trash." I think the point was well taken.

Wombat: I appreciate that, but I'm not that great.

Dylan: It's better than being called "The dishwasher" ;)

January 31, 2007 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger The Accidental Bitch said...

Yeah... acs is me... but that was totally an accident. I need to work on that. Anyway, good response.

January 31, 2007 at 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.