I work at a bar.
I live with someone.
I have friends.
I love reading.
That sums me up.
.
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Matt and I were sick on Sunday and Monday.
Flu, cold, whatever it was, made us sleep for 16 hours straight on Monday.
By Tuesday I was fully functional again.
It's now Wednesday and Matt still isn't 100 % better.

Tuesday I called Matt and asked if he wanted me to bring anything to him.
He asked for tea.
So after my meeting, I arrived at his apartment with tea. He was talking to his mom on the phone when I walked in, and I heard the following from his end:

Matt: No, she's already been sick, she's not going to catch it from me.
(pause)
Matt: Well that's why I asked her to bring me tea.
(pause)
Matt: I did not manipulate her to do it! She volunteered, she's always doing things like that for me.
(pause)
Matt: I do too, do things for her!
(pause)
Matt: I'm not having this conversation right now.
(slight pause)
Matt: No Mom, Mom!, MOM!
(pause)
Matt: Alright Mom, I love you too, bye.

Amusement must have played heavily across my face because when I looked up from making him tea, he immediately said, "Laugh it up."
And I did, from the conversation where he sounded like a 12 year old, to seeing him standing there in flannel pants, a hole-covered t-shirt, hair that was sticking out in every direction, and a nose that would rival Rudolph's, I couldn't help it.

"I hate you," he said in a 4 year old's voice, and then stomped back to his bed.

A few moments later, still laughing, I followed him with tea and another blanket.
"I'm sorry," I said smiling.
"It's fine," he said in a mock hurt voice "My mom wants to know when I'm going to propose to you."

That only got more laughter from my end.
Probably not what he was expecting.

4 Comments:

Blogger Wanderlusting said...

Ha. I've been in the same situation. My man told me the same thing months back.

I laughed nervously.

What the hell are you supposed to do?

If you smile and say "awwww" or anything encouraging they might think you are rooting for a proposal and get scared off.

If you do the opposite, they might think you think the whole idea of marrying them is ridiculous.

Hence, the nervous laughter on my part. I figured it was somewhere in the middle.

January 31, 2007 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Indiana said...

The question is of course, laugh aside, what do you really think of the idea?

January 31, 2007 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger The Accidental Bitch said...

lol... I'm glad you laughed. What happened after? That could have turned very bad...

January 31, 2007 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger sipwine said...

Wanderer: I just laughed. Every time the man is drunk, he starts talking about our future and when certain things are going to happen. The fact he was saying it sober threw me for a loop.

Indy: I'm not scared of the idea, and i've talked to him about it drunk before, just never sober.

TAB: After I laughed I told him that I had no desire to marry him at this point cause he's broke and I'm a gold digger. Then he laughed.

February 1, 2007 at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.